Friday, May 2, 2008

BTT: Mayday!

I'm a couple of days late, but thought I'd play along with the latest Booking Through Thursday challenge:

Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??
And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….


(Having read other BTT posts, I realise I may have somewhat missed the point of the question, but I've written this now, so ... I'll leave the response as it stands).

This is actually a no-brainer for me. I would head to the airport bookstore and go for any Peter Temple novel I haven't read. In the last few months I've read a couple of his excellent literary crime novels on flights and found them a perfect way to pass the time.

They are well written, entertaining, and - with multiple plot strands unfolding - actually benefit from being read in a single sitting if possible.

If there were no Temples available, my next choice might be Book 6 in John Marsden's Tomorrow series (because they are very quick and easy to read, and that's the one I'm up to!) or I might even grab a Jodi Piccoult.

I definitely wouldn't start experimenting with authors I was unfamiliar with for fear of a bad decision and a long, bookless flight! Nothing worse from a reader's perspective than a trip with a book you don't want to read.

2 comments:

the ink-stained toe-poker said...

Youse are moving to quick for me now. I'm still working on my meme123 thing. Is it still all right to do it? I'm I to late? youse are all crazy, you crazy peeps.

Emergency airport reading? Anything so long as I had something to read it wouldnae matter. John Brimingham's 'Weapons' series and Mathew Reilly's scarecrow are good for page turners and laughs -deliberate or not.

Otherwise the Temple boy you're always going on about Westie would be another.

So long as I had a pen and some paper I'd be right (or write, I suppose)

Paula Weston said...

Thanks Poker.

And yes,you can absolutely still do the 123 meme if you still want to!